Do You Know These Joint Ventures?

A joint venture is the coming together of 2 or more companies that wish to form a single enterprise for a project / profit. They agree to share risks and rewards, while carving a niche in the market. Check out these famous JVs:

  1. Sony JV with Ericsson – Sony Ericsson

This 50:50 joint venture gave rise to Sony Ericsson. It was a famous mobile handset brand of its time. The company was able to give a tough fight to giants like Nokia and Apple.

  1. Government of India JV with Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan – Maruti Suzuki

 Maruti Suzuki (formerly Maruti Udyog) was a unique JV. It aimed to reduce inventories, avoid work duplication and ensure optimal resource usage. Suzuki’s current equity is 56.2%.

  1. NBC Universal Television Group JV with Disney ABC Television Group – HULU

This joint venture created HULU, the famous video streaming website. It is an application that streams high quality content on mobiles, laptops and PCs.

  1. Tata Sons JV with Singapore Airlines – Vistara

Vistara is the brand name of the JV between the two companies. Tata Sons holds 51% of the JV while SIA has the remaining 49% stake. Vistara caters services to over 30 destinations including 4 international ones.

  1. General Electric JV with Microsoft Corporation – Caradigm

The health IT company Caradigm was formed by this joint venture. Merging clinical applications and technology that converts into intelligence became a great boon to the healthcare sector.