Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, broadly known as PCOS, is an endocrine system disorder that affects 8 to 10 percent of women and also leads to severe complications like infertility and type 2 diabetes in those who do not have an early diagnosis.
Unlike other diseases, there is no one factor that attributes as the cause of PCOS but genetic barriers, low inflammation, and high insulin are said to be the probable causes of ovary syndrome.
Due to the perplexing nature of this syndrome, it is quite difficult to state that PCOS can be cured completely. However, certain lifestyle changes can help women to not let PCOS affect their quality of life and one such change is to add yoga to their daily routine.
Yoga is not an ‘exercise’, it is the ‘way of life’. When it comes to adopting Yoga as a treatment for one ailment, proper discipline needs to be maintained for exceptional results. Thereby, here is a list of certain effective Yoga poses to get rid of PCOS:
1. Cobra pose: It is a simple and easy exercise. Doing this regularly will reduce weight, calm your anxiety, enhance fertility and strengthen your overall metabolism.
How to do this
• Lie on the mat with your face down and body extended. Make sure you press your legs and tips of your feet firmly to the mat while doing this.
• Place your palms on the ground under your shoulders and bend your elbows straight.
• Lift your upper body slowly by using your folded hands. While putting weight to your hands, make sure you don’t press too much weight on the hands.
• Use your lower back muscles to lift your body even higher. Remember to continue breathing throughout the exercise.
• Look slightly forward and upward and stay in the position for few seconds or minutes based on your comfort.
• Exhale and lower down gently.
2. Child’s pose: It brings relaxation by soothing the central nervous system of the body and helps in blood circulation as well.
How to do:
• Kneel and sit on your knees with both your knees slightly apart.
• Lean forward, first extend your arms and rest your forehead on your arms.
• Then fold your arms and place them on your feet.
• Inhale and exhale slowly and deeply for a minute or two
3. Bridge Pose: It helps in regulating thyroid function and relieves you from stress and anxiety.
How to do:
• Lie on your back, bend your knees and let your legs be apart from each other.
• Inhale and raise your hips, lift it from your pubic bones.
• Clasp your hands under your back and roll your thighs inward. Lift the back of your thighs as high as you can.
• Hold the position for 45 seconds to a minute
• Exhale, release your hands and gently lower down to the floor
4. Cat Pose: It helps you strengthen your core muscles and helps you tackle menstrual cramps.
How to do:
- Get on all fours with your wrists and lay down on a yoga mat to lessen the weight on your knees
- Let your back be flat, neutral and spread your fingers wide into the mat.
- Inhale deeply through the nose, filling your lungs and exhale deeply out of your mouth in the position.
- On exhaling, round your spine upwards
- Lower and flatten your spine to return to normal position.
Apart from above mentioned Yoga poses, breathing exercises like Bhramari and Kapaalbhati also fetch desirable results to get rid of PCOS.
It is quite evident from present scenario that not only consumption of medicines but bringing in few lifestyle changes can also heal many ailments and give us desired results and undoubtedly, Yoga is one such magical change of lifestyle.