Many of us may be facing issues in getting a night of good sleep. Good sleep is essential for a healthy life. So if you are struggling to get good sleep, don’t stress yourself. Here are some tips on how to improve your sleep.
According to the National Institute of Health, an adult needs 7-8 hours of sleep every day for the overall well-being of the body.
1. Try to sleep at the same time every day. Also, try to wake up at the same time.
2. Avoid alcoholic drinks and caffeine. Also, avoid the use of nicotine.
3. Exercise is important in getting good sleep. Exercise regularly, but don’t exercise before your bedtime.
4. Late-night heavy meals should be avoided. Have light food for your dinner.
5. Your bedroom should have proper lighting. A quiet atmosphere, with dim lights, is suitable.
6. The bedroom should not be too much cold or hot.
7. You can follow a routine to get relaxed before bedtime. Listen to music or read some interesting books. Switch off your TV and other screens one hour before bedtime.
8. If you cannot sleep after twenty minutes after lying down, do something to calm yourself by doing something that interests you.
9. You can consult your doctor if you still don’t get enough sleep.
Tips to improve your sleep over the holidays
During holidays, late-night parties, having heavy food and also travel can mess up your sleep. But don’t worry. There are some strategies to help you.
You should create a three-hour digestion window. Many foods we consume may contain more sugar and fats. Taking in more sugar can interrupt your sleep. Giving a three-hour gap between meals can help the body break down its most recent meal.
Consuming alcoholic drinks also give you poor-quality sleep. It takes 1-2 hours for your body to metabolize an alcoholic drink.
Waking up late can also interrupt your sleep cycle. Don’t stress yourself if you are not getting proper sleep while you are on travel or staying somewhere else while on holiday.
You can carry with you a lavender-smelling candle or a favourite pillowcase to make your sleep space familiar. This may induce good sleep in you.